Molleton is a fabric roughened on both sides that mostly consists of 100% cotton and occasionally Trevira CS or other flame-retardant polyester fibres. In order to make the already very inexpensive product even cheaper, some normal polyester is added here and there. At TÜCHLER, this molleton is called "Stage Molleton ECO".
All TÜCHLER stage molletons have the basic fabric in common, which is always a robust twill. This type of fabric is strong and at the same time displays a soft drape.
The special properties of stage molleton:
The roughened and therefore fluffy surface with a weight of around 300 g/m³ ensures a matt, low-reflection surface on the one hand and, in the case of dark colours, a high degree of darkening and a relatively high level of sound absorption. In addition, stage molleton has a good crease recovery and is therefore very well suited for use on the "road".
Stage molleton is therefore ideal for:
- Inexpensive stage curtains
- Inexpensive front stage covers
- Inexpensive stage skirting
- Inexpensive frame coverings (width 2 m and 3 m!)
- Inexpensive blackout curtains
The strong demand for a very inexpensive material with these properties has led in recent decades to the development of today’s stage molleton with to an extent noticeable manufacturing tolerances. Other materials are also better at light fastness, for example when exposed to sunlight.
We therefore recommend other textiles for these applications:
- Permanent blackout curtains
- In rooms that require a "dust-free" environment (molleton loses fabric due to the roughening)
- Main stage curtains
- When deep black colours are required
- When colour fidelity between production lots is required